"How blessed is he who considers the helpless..." Psalm 41:1

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Father's Day 2010

I had a lot of thoughts going thru my head on Father's Day this year. Most started with all the well wishes to myself and other mothers as well as debates on FB about what constitutes a "father" and so on. I didn't see these kind of debates on Mother's Day, although there are some daddy's holding their children down alone too!

I summed up my feelings in one post "Happy Father's Day to all the daddy's out there! We r so blessed to have an amazing Grandpa in Isaac's life & grateful for all the men who've been involved as strong examples. I appreciate all the well wishes directed to myself & other single parents playing both roles. My prayers r for the earthly daddy that I hope Isaac will have someday:) I pray my baby grows to know that his birthfather loved him as well... AND most importantly that it is his Father in heaven who paid the ultimate sacrifice for him." I could go on, but you get my point.

Really I never thought in a million years I'd be a single mother, let alone by choice. It is the most amazing gift the Lord has given me thus far in my life. But still. I pray for a father figure for Isaac. I pray for a godly, masculine, leader in his life. I know the significance of a child learning by example. How do we expect a man or woman to know how to be in a relationship when they've never seen it to emulate?

Just food for thought.

I have always prided myself in how independent I am, but pride is a sin. And one thing the Lord has taught me is that being a woman is a blessing. It should be embraced and celebrated. Somewhere along the way we lost that and went the opposite direction glorifying a 'superwoman'. YES these women deserve praise and support. They have risen up and overcome hardships in many different forms. But that is because their situation is not ideal. What we should do is glorify and spotlight the men who are being MEN. Thank God for them.

This blog is interesting. You could argue some of his examples, but he's just trying to paint a picture. And I agree with him on many levels.

No comments: