"How blessed is he who considers the helpless..." Psalm 41:1

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I don't want my children to be happy

Parenthood. Let's just get one thing straight. I don't like to play the bad guy. Honestly I thought I'd be better at it. It's just so much fun to see the one thing you love most in the world smile. It is already evident that Isaac needs structure and discipline. I've compared dogs, adolescents, athletes, etc. to children in their need to push their boundaries. Now i have a child and it is so obvious. Children need and crave those boundaries. Ultimately the things they don't get or the delayed gratification is done with LOVE. If all we did was play and he never learned to be a gentleman (there are so few these days), would i really be a good mama?! So Isaac, my goal is not your happiness, nor was it my parents' goal and i appreciate that more and more :-)


Many of us adults can take the advice of how to be content rather than happy. Everyday brings more challenges. Overcoming them in a way that is pleasing to God is the most important lesson we can pass on to our children.

No comments: